Give Your Website a Instant Marketing Makeover
Monday, June 8th, 2015
Nothing lets marketing material down more than the use of poor quality images, which have far greater immediate impact on visitors/viewers than any other element (colours, font, layout, etc.).
In a highly competitive online marketplace, the only place for low-res images taken on a handy smartphone are in Facebook posts and Twitter tweets. It’s in social media channels that casual, informal, spontaneous and jokey images have their place. On your website – including your blog pages – the only images you should publish should be high quality, enticing and appealing.
If time is short and you need an image makeover fast, go online and search for image libraries focusing on your specific business/ core topics. Many images are available at no charge.
- It is easy to lose time when viewing picture libraries, try to have a specific type of picture/subject/theme and outcome in mind (before it becomes quicker to commission a photographer and stage a photo shoot).
- You must read the terms and conditions relating to copyright and permissions, before you use any images.
- Other business owners also have access to these libraries – you will not be publishing ‘ego-centric’ images to sell your business, and arguably there is a lack of authenticity and uniqueness inherent in using library stock.
- Flickr.com allows you to share, store, search, and sort your photos. There are always plenty of images available for you to use. Flickr is free, though you will have to register if you want to upload and edit your own images. The photographers establish the terms, so read the permissions carefully.
- http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/ – Over 2000 free images that you can use in commercial and non-commercial work. You are not allowed to sell, redistribute, or claim these images as your own. You can browse by category or search for exactly what you need.
- http://freephotosbank.com/ – Allows users to have non-exclusive, non-transferable license to images. You can search for photos, see which photos are the most popular, which ones have the highest ratings or the most downloads and download free images.
- http://morguefile.com/ – Offers stock photographs in high-resolution digital. With over 55,000 images, divided into several categories, they are sure to have something you can use. Search results display quickly and the photos are top quality.
- http://www.freeimages.com/ – Offers high quality images taken around the world by amateur photographers. If you have an interest in photography, you can even submit your own pictures. There are various searching options and over 350,000 images. The photographers establish the terms, so read the fine print.